Sunday, May 18, 2008

Critical Thinking

When making a major decision about something that is taking place in your life, you must think critically. Just because you think about a decision does not mean you are putting much thought in it. A person can think, without even thinking. Sometimes decisions are just made by the first thing that pops into someone’s head. Critical thinking is taking time to evaluate all of your options in order to choose what is right for you.

Being a senior this year, I have realized the lack of critical thinking I have done to make a college decision. I still believe my choice of Minnesota State University Mankato is my best option and that I will love it there. However, I believe the process of choosing a college should begin during a person’s junior year of high school. This was not the case for me; I waited till second quarter of my senior year, and felt an urge to quickly pick a college. I visited three colleges and then choose Mankato. I did not think to critically about my choices. I have not looked far into the programs the different colleges provide, as I am planning to take generals my first year. I really don’t know what I would like to do for a job. If I took time and looked into some of my top options I would be able to find which major I would like to pursue. I had many quick thoughts while making my decision on college, but I now realize I should have thought more critically about this choice.

People may not like to sit down and discover all the options about a certain decision they are making, but in reality, the outcome would most likely be better. The time and effort put into the choices you are making could lead you in two different directions; either down the right path, or down the wrong path. When thinking things through, you will more then likely pick the positive outcome of a decision you are trying to make.

No comments: