Monday, May 5, 2008

Education

Education

One explanation of education is how people learn and grow into the person they are. There are many different ways people learn. When most people hear the word “education” they think of school and college. However I believe one of the best ways you can learn is not by text books and lectures, but from interacting with other people.
Whether you learn from parents, siblings, neighbors or peers, there are always lessons to be learned about life in general. I, myself, have learned many lessons from being involved with sports since I was 7 years old. My parents were my first educators, teaching me right from wrong. They are also the ones who encouraged me to join hockey. Starting when I was in second grade, they were always there to help me along the way, striving to get better. They have taught me little lessons, like time management, but every lesson adds up and has helped me become who I am today. Although I did not always appreciate their input on my life, I realize it was well worth it. My junior and senior years of high school, my hockey team made it to State, and I know I would not have been able to do it without my parents.
Along with hockey I also played volleyball and made two appearances at the State tournament. During my volleyball career I learned how important peers can be. My teammates and I would always push each other to get better. On the court we worked hard in order to achieve our goals and dreams, and our biggest dream came true as we won the State Championship game in 2007. However it was not always about volleyball, we were there to help one another out with any other problem that arose, weather it was school, family, or boys. I have learned so much from just my teammates and other friends that I will cherish for the rest of my life.
Friends are the people who bring out your true personality. They are the ones whom you make brainless decisions with, but have a blast doing it, and learn something new each time. Just like the guys in the movie Dead Poets Society, peers are there to teach one another about life. There are always happy times, but the sad part is that most of the big lessons are learned when something goes wrong. After the death of Neil, everyone took life into perspective a little more and it changed their way of living.
Coaches are another source of educators. They are people that you can look up to and trust. When you do not feel like going to your parents for adult advice, you can ask your coaches, because they have been around longer than peers. People may think coaches are there for teaching skills on how to improve in athletic events. However a quote from The Hidden Teacher describes this situation the best, “But the teachers are not always to be found in school or in great laboratories. Sometimes what we learn depends upon our own powers of insight.” I believe that coaches are people that help lead you onto your own path.
There are so many different ways one can learn. Education may be considered school too many, where teachers lecture and give homework in order to learn. However, for me it is living my life, where parents, relatives, peers, coaches, and even pets can teach you something that you can cherish for the rest of your life.

Work Cited
Dead Poets Society. Dir. Peter Weir. Perf. Robin Williams. DVD. Touchstone Pictures, 1989.

Eiseley, Loren. The Hidden Teacher.

X, Malcom, and Alex Haley. How I Discovered Words: a Homeade Education.

No comments: